Do Christians Need to Fast?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Do Christians Need to Fast?

Post by Consumed on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Strangelove wrote:

Ok so I fast from 2pm until 7pm everyday...is that ok?

Sure as long as your fine with that, iv got no problem with it.
Fasting is Spirit led not a carnal religious excercise Doc
Basketball
Consumed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grandpa on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:15 am

I don't think it is a commandment to fast. But I think it is a good idea to try it. I found that when I fast that it quieted my mind and allowed me to focus and concentrate better. Not at first though. At first my body was basically screaming that it was gonna die. It's kind of my way of telling my flesh that my spirit is in charge. My flesh doesn't like that at all. My flesh wants to be in charge. It seems to be a constant battle, for me anyway.

Your flesh will give you all kinds of excuses why you shouldn't fast. It reminds me of a story I read once about a man who had two dogs that he would have them fight for money. Each week he would come into town and he would make money because the people would bet on the dog that won the week before. But he would make sure that the opposite dog won each week. A man from town asked him what his secret was, how could he get the opposite dog to win each week. He said that was easy, the dog that would win would be the one that he fed.

I think fasting is like that.

I started my first fast at 24hrs. Then I went up to 48hrs. Then I went up to 72. I've never gone more than 72hrs. I haven't fasted in a really long time, on purpose. It's probably time again.

Grandpa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammer on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:12 am

Fasting is a natural response to grief and some illness. If the Apostles fasted when Jesus was with them, it would have sent a mixed signal. But, otherwise, it seems Jesus expected his followers to fast.

There's no command to fast because fasting is for our benefit. If you're obligated to do it, it's a burden, not a benefit.

Have you ever heard of anyone who fasted, but then regretted it?

Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Strangelove on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:50 pm

I def understand not eating when your ill.

At the age of 37 I've yet to experience grief (Thank the Lord) but there have been times when I've been really sad (arguments with the Mrs. etc) when I have missed meals and just laid down, so I can understand the natural response to grief too might be fasting.

Thanks Hammer. I see you possess common sense.

Arrow IMPORTANT THREADS Arrow FORUM STATEMENT OF FAITH Arrow CHRISTIAN WILDERNESS BLOGSPOT

Rev 12:6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.
Strangelove
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://christian-wilderness-blog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: