Antimonianism

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Antimonianism

Post by Strangelove on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi, Doc here...

We spend so much time battling with the lawyers and Hebrew roots guys, they are pretty easy to refute I think. IF they accept the NT as God's Word Very Happy .

I've just entered into a debate with someone who seems to be the polar opposite of a lawkeeper. He rightly says that we are saved by Grace through faith alone, but he refuses to acknowledge that good fruit is the natural product of faith in Christ?

He's calling me an SDA apologist and a worksmonger... Laughing ...because I point to passages like ....

(James 2:16) And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
(James 2:17) Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

....and explain that my understanding of this is that genuine faith will be accompanied by good works naturally, not to be boasted of or to add to God's saving Grace, but just happens by the indwelling Holy Spirit causing a change in the reborn Christians outward life.

When confronted with James, he says that he doesnt base theology on one verse and also says that the book is disputed as to whether it should be part of the canon.

Has anyone ever come across this before?

Is this whats known as antimonianism? Suspect

Arrow IMPORTANT THREADS Arrow FORUM STATEMENT OF FAITH Arrow CHRISTIAN WILDERNESS BLOGSPOT

Rev 12:6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.
Strangelove
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://christian-wilderness-blog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Antimonianism

Post by zone on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:56 pm

Strangelove wrote:Hi, Doc here...

We spend so much time battling with the lawyers and Hebrew roots guys, they are pretty easy to refute I think. IF they accept the NT as God's Word Very Happy .

I've just entered into a debate with someone who seems to be the polar opposite of a lawkeeper. He rightly says that we are saved by Grace through faith alone, but he refuses to acknowledge that good fruit is the natural product of faith in Christ?

He's calling me an SDA apologist and a worksmonger... Laughing ...because I point to passages like ....

(James 2:16) And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
(James 2:17) Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

....and explain that my understanding of this is that genuine faith will be accompanied by good works naturally, not to be boasted of or to add to God's saving Grace, but just happens by the indwelling Holy Spirit causing a change in the reborn Christians outward life.

When confronted with James, he says that he doesnt base theology on one verse and also says that the book is disputed as to whether it should be part of the canon.

Has anyone ever come across this before?

Is this whats known as antimonianism? Suspect

pretty much, yes.
antinomians go from one end saying we don't have to obey any rules or commands of Christ (including the moral imperitives in the 10 commandments) >> all the way up the scale to saying doing any works makes you fall from Grace, and we are to be SO free, sin is ignored by God so anything goes (literally).
zone
Mod
Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum