Christian Wilderness Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Thousand Years

2 posters

Go down

A Thousand Years Empty A Thousand Years

Post by zone Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:09 pm

interesting...... so zone, if you believe he is bound, then how do you interpret the 1000? do you think it's a symbolic number that means a certain time span... or what?
couldn't 'under his feet' also mean that Jesus conquered death and hell and Satan lost his power over it?

well, i answered this may times and linked to articles and sermons which exegete that chapter (and the whole dsipensational model as being faulty). but i'm happy to post again on it. don't know if you've seen other recent posts which consider the references to being BOUND...i forget which threads they are on, but within this week, anways.

there are 2 parts to this (a thousand years), which when considered together make it clear (to amillennialists at least) that it is an Hebraic term, a figure of speech which means a certain perdiod of time which simply means COMPLETE, FULL, etc.:

1) what a thousand years means
2) is there an age after this one, and before the Judgment and eternity (i.e: a literal 1,000 years tacked on to time after The Second Advent).

i'll keep it as brief as possible. see, it only says he can't deceive the nations. it says NOTHING about not tempting man to sin etc.

(Revelation uses symbolic language, Rev 20 is filled with imagery like that)

keeping in mind we are told we can not know WHEN Jesus will Return, and Rev 20 gives an unspecified period of time He is ruling from Heaven before returning, this gives it extra weight. (yet that messianic/salvation perdiod of time between Advents is expressed as being full/complete by the term a thousand years.

if Rev 20 had said an exact number of years and days and months, we could then KNOW the times the Father has determined before the Return:

Acts 1:7
He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.

~

Revelation 20
The Thousand Years
1 And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.

this is THE ONLY PLACE the thousand years (millennium) is even mentioned. notice a thousand is separate from years: so we now REALLY only dealing with the term a thousand.

5507. chilioi

a thousand

Original Word: χίλιοι, αι, α
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: chilioi
Phonetic Spelling: (khil'-ee-oy)
Short Definition: a thousand
Definition: a thousand.

5507 xílioiproperly, a thousand; the product of 10 x 10 x 10 (103, ten cubed); (figuratively) emphatic, total inclusiveness, showing no one (nothing) is left out.

["Ten" in Scripture can already express the symbolic meaning "completely" (inclusively) so 5507 (xílioi) as the cube of 10 ("a thousand") powerfully stresses the meaning "full/inclusive" (totality).]

~

"showing no one (nothing) is left out"........"powerfully stresses the meaning full/inclusive" (totality)"

that's all it means. TOTALITY.

are there other places God uses thousand to express totality?

Exodus 20
The Ten Commandments
4 “You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand [generations] of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Exodus 34:7
maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation."

Deuteronomy 7:9
Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands.

Psalm 105:8
He remembers his covenant forever, the word he commanded, for a thousand generations,

(clearly, if He meant a literal thousand generations, even if a generation lasts only 40 years, that's 40,000 generations).

Psalm 50:10
for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills.

Daniel 7:10
A river of fire was flowing, coming out from before him. Thousands upon thousands attended him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him. The court was seated, and the books were opened.

Hebrews 12:12
But you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly,

Jude 1:14
Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: "See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones

Revelation 5:11
Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders.

Revelation 20
The Thousand Years
1 And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.

and so on...........

~

then, the next part is......how many ages are there?

Matthew 12:32
Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Matthew 13:39
and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.

Matthew 13:40
"As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age.

Matthew 13:49
This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous

Matthew 24:3
As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

and THE ABSOLUTE RINGER:

Mark 10
28 Peter said to him, “We have left everything to follow you!”

29 “I tell you the truth,”Jesus replied, “no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel 30 will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life. 31 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”

zone.
zone
zone
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

A Thousand Years Empty Re: A Thousand Years

Post by strangelove Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:00 pm

if Rev 20 had said an exact number of years and days and months, we could then KNOW the times the Father has determined before the Return:

Acts 1:7
He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.

Wowowowowow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh boy that had been niggling me for ages.

Penny-drop.

Thanks sis.

G'night.

gonna catch me a thousand Zzzzzzzz's
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

http://christian-wilderness-blog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by zone Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:11 am

All the way back: Re-embracing Amillennialism

Posted on August 9, 2010 by T.C. R

For a few weeks now (years to be utterly honest), I’ve been wrestling with the book of Revelation, asking the obvious question: Where does it point?
I’ve posted my roller coasted journey through the book of Revelation. I don’t know why. But at this moment in time I felt compelled to rethink the book.
Along the way, I’ve found that an Eclectic approach to reading the book of Revelation is the key:
1. So I side with the preterist who says that we should read Revelation the way the original readers would have read it, that is, in its historical context. But I disagree with the radical preterist who says that all of the events of Revelation have been fulfilled in the first century.
2. If I side with the Historicist, let it be thus: that nations will rise and fall but God’s people will prevail, from John’s times until that time Jesus returns.
3. I do side with the Idealist in seeing the timeless principles throughout the book. But I must depart from an Idealist’s view when the historical and futurist elements of the book are either slighted or altogether denied.
4. To the Futurist, I side with you only in this: that from my reading of the book, the events of chapters 21-22 are yet future. But I must disagree with you when you say that chapters 4-22 are principally future, to close the ages and usher in the eschaton.
5. To the Eclecticist, well, I’m with you, though some of us may differ here and there. Why the Eclectic approach? Well, I think the book of Revelation itself and redemptive history, as it is being played out, demand such an approach.
With the above in mind, below is an example of my journey back:
1. I hold that the visions of the battle of 16:12-16 and 19:17-21 are one and the same withthe battle of 20:7-10, with obvious recapitulation going on, a feature of apocalyptic literature, but with some expansion.
Notice also how our English Bible translations have done us a grave disservice by failing to rendering the Greek ton polemon “the battle” at 16:14; 19:19 and 20:8, thus obscuring the matter: it’s referring to a specific battle, the battle of Armageddon at 16:16 or the battle of Gog and Magog at 20:8. And why 20:7-10 is a recapitulation of 19:17-21 is because both are echoing Ezekiel 39:1, 6, 17-20—John has one battle in mind, not two!
2. Regarding Revelation 20:4-6, the millennium, I have one simple question: Where are the thrones? Answer. The thrones are in heaven where the 1000-yr is taking place right now.
In closing, though I still have a few things to work out in the book of Revelation, I confidently affirm the above in my return to Amillennialism, in respect to Revelation 20.
http://newleaven.com/2010/08/09/all-the-way-back-re-embracing-amillennialism/
zone
zone
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:50 pm

this chart is pretty much where we are ya?

http://www.bible.ca/rapture-second-coming-end-of-world-end-times-last-days-tribulation-bible-chronology-chart.jpg
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zone Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:26 pm

Strangelove wrote:this chart is pretty much where we are ya?

http://www.bible.ca/rapture-second-coming-end-of-world-end-times-last-days-tribulation-bible-chronology-chart.jpg

THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!!!

WAY TO GO DOC!

Doc can you cut me out the box that shows the Amillennial thingee (lower right corner)? i need that for the Dispo hordes as my buddy PPS coined the term. lol!

i don't wanna cofuzzle them with the rest of the stuff...they can't even grasp the pretrib hoax.

there's some stuff i disagree with but overall it looks GOOD! (i.e: islamic persecution aint our biuggest prob; i think we are closer to the end than they have - but they appear to be wanting it all to end in a nice even number of millenniums which is ok).

LOOKS GOOD DOCSTER

shweet.
zone
zone
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:28 pm

A Thousand Years Thousa11
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:44 pm

A Thousand Years Pre-kingdom-pentecost-time-chart

Click to enlage.

Folks just wont believe unless they see a schematic eh?
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down