Christian Wilderness Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gen 20

Go down

Gen 20 Empty Gen 20

Post by clark thompson Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:24 am

Genesis 20
King James Version (KJV)

20 And Abraham journeyed from thence toward the south country, and dwelled between Kadesh and Shur, and sojourned in Gerar.
2 And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister: and Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah.
3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife.
4 But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?
5 Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.
6 And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.
7 Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.
8 Therefore Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told all these things in their ears: and the men were sore afraid.
9 Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said unto him, What hast thou done unto us? and what have I offended thee, that thou hast brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? thou hast done deeds unto me that ought not to be done.
10 And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What sawest thou, that thou hast done this thing?
11 And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake.
12 And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.
13 And it came to pass, when God caused me to wander from my father's house, that I said unto her, This is thy kindness which thou shalt shew unto me; at every place whither we shall come, say of me, He is my brother.
14 And Abimelech took sheep, and oxen, and menservants, and womenservants, and gave them unto Abraham, and restored him Sarah his wife.
15 And Abimelech said, Behold, my land is before thee: dwell where it pleaseth thee.
16 And unto Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver: behold, he is to thee a covering of the eyes, unto all that are with thee, and with all other: thus she was reproved.
17 So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare children.
18 For the Lord had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah Abraham's wife.

Genesis 20
American Standard Version (ASV)
20 And Abraham journeyed from thence toward the land of the South, and dwelt between Kadesh and Shur. And he sojourned in Gerar.
2 And Abraham said of Sarah his wife, She is my sister. And Abimelech king of Gerar sent, and took Sarah.
3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream of the night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, because of the woman whom thou hast taken. For she is a man's wife.
4 Now Abimelech had not come near her. And he said, Lord, wilt thou slay even a righteous nation?
5 Said he not himself unto me, She is my sister? And she, even she herself said, He is my brother. In the integrity of my heart and the innocency of my hands have I done this.
6 And God said unto him in the dream, Yea, I know that in the integrity of thy heart thou has done this, and I also withheld thee from sinning against me. Therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.
7 Now therefore restore the man's wife. For he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live. And if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.
8 And Abimelech rose early in the morning, and called all his servants, and told all these things in their ear. And the men were sore afraid.
9 Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said unto him, What hast thou done unto us? And wherein have I sinned against thee, that thou hast brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin? Thou hast done deeds unto me that ought not to be done.
10 And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What sawest thou, that thou hast done this thing?
11 And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place. And they will slay me for my wife's sake.
12 And moreover she is indeed my sister, the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife:
13 and it came to pass, when God caused me to wander from my father's house, that I said unto her, This is thy kindness which thou shalt show unto me. At every place whither we shall come, say of me, He is my brother.
14 And Abimelech took sheep and oxen, and men-servants and women-servants, and gave them unto Abraham, and restored him Sarah his wife.
15 And Abimelech said, Behold, my land is before thee. Dwell where it pleaseth thee.
16 And unto Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver. Behold, it is for thee a covering of the eyes to all that are with thee. And in respect of all thou art righted.
17 And Abraham prayed unto God. And God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maid-servants. And they bare children.
18 For Jehovah had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah, Abraham's wife.

These are my thoughts please share yours.

1 He remained in the land God ahd promised him.

2 Abram also did this when he went to Egypt. Sometimes we fall into the same sin we were once in.

3 God came to him in a dream, this may have been the same way pharoah knew in Gen 12. We are warned for our sins at time it is just are we listening to the warning we have.

4 Abimelech was innocent because he did not lay with Sarah as his wife yet. The Lord will not punish the innocent beecause none stand rightoeus before the Lord without the blood of the Lamb.

5 Their lies caused him to at fault before God, this may happen we may be tricked by mens word but God word should stand above them. If Abimelech did not react in giving Abraham's wife back after his dream there would have been judgement poured out on him. We today have the word of God to stand agianst the lies of man.

6 At times God will prevent us from sin. Certain sins can destroy some and God will stand in the way, we may not see this though.

7 Abimelech has been told to make things right by giving Sarah back to Abraham and he would not harm him.

8 The men began to fear the God that stood by Abraham and they now had respect for Abraham by God even though it was Abraham that had tricked them to where this whole thing had happened. Sometimes after knowing God's will for each of us, it is all that matters and all others go away.

9-10 Abraham was at fault for what he did. Abimelech could do nothing more than talk to him because God was looking out for Abraham.

11 Abraham allows his fears to allow him to forget about the promises that God made to him.

12-13 Abraham tries to justify his discieving Abimelech by allows him to know that he told a part truth. The realationship of wife and husband was more important than in other. While Abraham being her brother would have been the one to recieve gifts upon her wed but bieng her husband she was already wed and could not be wed again.

14 This was not for the wedding as pharoah had given this was to show he was sorry for what he had did. God did not require him to give gifts but he goes beyond what the Lord said and shows he respects God and Abraham by doing this.

15 Abraham because of this is welcomed into a land where he is not from. Abraham wonder from place to place in this land because he was a stranger in the land promised him but not he is able to settle on Abimelech's land.

16 Abimelech also make right with Sarah.

17-18 God had caused them not to bare childeren because Abimelech had Sarah in his home. Abraham prayed for Abimelech as God had said. We wil pray for those we wrong and for those who wrong us but with those we make do wrong we will make right if we are able.

clark thompson

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum