Christian Wilderness Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do Christians Need to Fast?

+6
Adstar
Son of Israel
zone
Timotheos
KingdomSeeker
strangelove
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Do Christians Need to Fast? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do Christians Need to Fast?

Post by Son of Israel Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:38 pm

I do well too thank you Kingdom Smile

You seem to have a good heart dear brother. Even though you are a little exuberant hehe. But that is good.
You just simply need to be aware of your audience you preach to is all. It can be an art to discern what is needed to be heard by others so that the proper things are said to the appropriate people.
To be led by God in this isn’t always obvious. I say that because even though you might be right in preaching some things you do, you are preaching to the choir as I pointed out earlier. It seemed quite pointed and specific what I read.
But you really should know who you are amongst here. These men and women are incredible Bible Scholars and full of the Holy Spirit and speak truth, things that your soul would rejoice to see, I am sure of that about you Smile
They have much to share with you as Elders do.
The younger in age as well as in Spirit are Blessed in listening to those seasoned and mature in the things of God. It isn’t the other way around usually. (Unless I missed something where you were specifically rebuking others, which is why I asked).

An example would be like a fourth grader speaking to a high schooler, trying to tell the ninth grader all about the incredible math that he is learning. See my point? It isn’t ‘wrong’ necessarily, it is just misplaced preaching without discernment of who it is being directed to.

In that light, yes, to answer your question, there is an important thing to understand concerning “elders” and how the younger should conduct themselves in their midst;

(1Pe 5:1) The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:
(1Pe 5:2) Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
(1Pe 5:3) Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.
(1Pe 5:4) And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
(1Pe 5:5) Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
(1Pe 5:6) Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

If in fact, there is someone here who needs your rebuke, then it would be good to rebuke them privately probably. In that, we are to submit one to another. But a general spreading around of a younger voice rebuking elder others for something they aren’t neccessarily guilty of, is bad form indeed. But I call it exuberance, I won’t accuse you of pride. I see myself in you when I was your age Smile

Just trying to bring to light the importance of death. as well as the importance of Living in the spirit, you DONT live in the spirit Just becasue you have the holy spirit. You dont.

I’m not sure who you were directing that to, but I don’t think anyone here has an issue with knowing such basics.

But I can assure you of one thing. If a man or woman (someone here?) hasn’t died to themselves and aren’t living in the Spirit, then they certainly don’t have the Holy Spirit.
Likewise, if someone has the Holy Spirit, then they are living in the Spirit. That is Holy Spirit 101 Smile
Everyone here knows that and probably doesn’t need that message preached to them.

Back to “fasting”… when I asked you which fast you do, you replied;

Me? Well I dont do much my brother. I dont fast food much, i have, i beleive i shall again as i feel further called to do so. But like i have said, fasting doesnt technicaly have to be food. And that passage of Isaiah was to Self righteous Jews, who fasted, and starved themsleves,to appear righteous, but kept things from the poor and hungry fellow Jews, becasue they considered them Filled with sin and disgusting. Its not technically written to YOU, or Me.

I fast always. 24/7. I am always called to fast.

As you said you don’t food fast much. Me neither. For that is not the fast that the Lord chooses for His followers as He clearly says. He chooses the fast of Isa 58:6,7,8,9… for us, His followers, to acknowledge as the true “fast”.
Are you seeing this yet?
And who told you that that part of the Bible isn’t for me? It is written specifically to me. Here is why.
If I was as a self righteous Jew, (which I most certainly was, forgive me Jesus!), I would food fast, as Isa 58:5 Jews did, by not eating food.
But as a redeemed Jew, I fast continuously in His true fast of Isa 58:6-10…. Which has nothing to do with not eating physical food as you can see.

God honors and blesses us with the true fast. He will never call you to not eat dinner Smile
That’s why you don’t find it anywhere in the new testament.

Blessings Smile
Son of Israel
Son of Israel

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Israel Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Adstar wrote:Well i have been sitting here on the sidelines
reading this thread. I have never been overly convicted about fasting (food
fasting). I did try a 48 hour fast and it made me feel good. Then i tried a 72
hour fast and i regret it much. All it did was make me feel terrible and lower
my metabolism so that from that day on i struggled with weight gain because my
body had been put into starvation mode.

Anyway enough of my own experiences. I would like you all to go into more
detail about the spiritual fast. How do you afflict your soul. How do you go
about it in your lives?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Hi Adstar, pleased to meet you Smile

(Mat 5:6) Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

I've put together an exegesis for you in this fast of the Lord in which we "hunger and thirst". I hope you find this a blessing;

(Isa 58:6) Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

(Mat 6:16) Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

(Mat 6:17) But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;
(Mat 6:18) That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

(Mat 9:15) And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.

(Luk 4:18) The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
(Luk 4:19) To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

(Act 8:23) For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

(Mat 11:28) Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
(Mat 11:29) Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
(Mat 11:30) For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

(Joh 8:32) And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

(Rom 14:17) For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

(Isa 58:7) Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

(Mat 25:35) For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
(Mat 25:36) Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

(Eph 4:28) Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

(Jas 2:15) If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
(Jas 2:16) And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
(Jas 2:17) Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

(1Ti 5:8) But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

(Isa 58:8) Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward.

(Luk 1:78) Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,
(Luk 1:79) To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

(Rev 21:11) Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;

(Mat 4:16) The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.

(Mat 5:14) Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
(Mat 5:15) Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
(Mat 5:16) Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

(Luk 16:8) And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

(Jas 1:17) Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

(Joh 1:9) That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

(1Jn 2:8) Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.

(Isa 58:9) Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;

(Luk 11:13) If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

(Isa 58:10) And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:

(Mat 4:16) The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.

(Mal 4:2) But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

(2Pe 1:19) We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

(Luk 22:53) When I was daily with you in the temple, ye stretched forth no hands against me: but this is your hour, and the power of darkness.

(Isa 58:11) And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.

(Joh 7:38) He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
(Joh 7:39) (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

(Act 10:38) How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

(Joh 4:14) But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

(Mat 5:6) Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

(Joh 6:35) And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

(Joh 7:37) In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

(Rom 12:20) Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

(1Co 4:11) Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace;

(2Co 11:27) In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

(Rev 7:16) They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat.

(Luk 13:18) Then said he, Unto what is the kingdom of God like? and whereunto shall I resemble it?

(Luk 13:19) It is like a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and cast into his garden; and it grew, and waxed a great tree; and the fowls of the air lodged in the branches of it.

(Luk 23:43) And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

(Rev 2:7) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

(Rev 22:1) And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

(Rev 22:2) In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

(Isa 58:12) And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in.

(Amo 9:14) And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them.
(Amo 9:15) And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.

(Act 15:15) And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
(Act 15:16) After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
(Act 15:17) That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

(Eph 2:13) But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
(Eph 2:14) For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
(Eph 2:15) Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
(Eph 2:16) And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

(Eph 2:19) Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
(Eph 2:20) And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
(Eph 2:21) In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
(Eph 2:22) In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

(2Ti 2:19) Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

(1Co 3:11) For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
(1Co 3:12) Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
(1Co 3:13) Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

(Isa 58:13) If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

(Heb 4:3) For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

(Mat 11:28) Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

(Rev 14:13) And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

(Isa 58:14) Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

(Jud 1:24) Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

(Rom 7:22) For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

(Rom 14:17) For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

(Eph 1:3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

(Eph 2:6) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

(Joh 6:55) For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

(Joh 6:56) He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
(Joh 6:57) As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
(Joh 6:58) This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.

(Rom 8:17) And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

(Gal 3:29) And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

(Tit 3:7) That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

(Heb 1:14) Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

(Heb 6:17) Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

(Jas 2:5) Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

(Act 2:22) Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

(Act 10:34) Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

(Act 10:35) But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

(Act 10:36) The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

(Gal 6:16) And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Blessings bro Smile

Son of Israel
Son of Israel

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Israel Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:46 pm

ach... the smiley faces automatically filled over the verse numbers sometimes for some reason, sorry :/
Son of Israel
Son of Israel

Back to top Go down

Post by zone Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Do Christians Need to Fast? - Page 2 Thumbnail
thank you brother Son.
zone
zone
Mod
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:51 pm

Son of Israel wrote:ach... the smiley faces automatically filled over the verse numbers sometimes for some reason, sorry :/

Fixed.

8) was the code for shades smiley.
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

http://christian-wilderness-blog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomSeeker Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:14 pm

Adstar wrote:Well i have been sitting here on the sidelines
reading this thread. I have never been overly convicted about fasting (food
fasting). I did try a 48 hour fast and it made me feel good. Then i tried a 72
hour fast and i regret it much. All it did was make me feel terrible and lower
my metabolism so that from that day on i struggled with weight gain because my
body had been put into starvation mode.

Anyway enough of my own experiences. I would like you all to go into more
detail about the spiritual fast. How do you afflict your soul. How do you go
about it in your lives?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Fasting is TO weaken your body and your flesh. If you weaken your body, you cant just then sit around watching tv. (not saying you did, or would do) you need to then strengthen the spirit. which you can only do be spending as much time seeking God in pray, spending time in his presence. Its really important. NOt even to fast, beleive me everyone will fast. its the Prayer hat is the most important.
God bless Adstar.

KingdomSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:58 am

KingdomSeeker wrote:If you weaken your body, you cant just then sit around watching tv. (not saying you did, or would do) you need to then strengthen the spirit.

If you weaken your body you need to then strengthen the spirit??

Huh?

That doesnt make any sense.
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomSeeker Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:02 am

Doc?

It doesnt make sence to you that in order for the Spirit to be the stronger of the two that control the human, you need to make the other weeker?

Prayer strengthens the spirit.

The Flesh is strengthend by giving into it.

The only way to NOT give into the flesh, is if you are in the spirit.

You can only be in the spirit in prayer, which is communion with Your Lord.

The flesh will keep you from the spirit, just like the spirit will keep you from the flesh. But you MUST pick which one you want to give into.

KingdomSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:17 am

KingdomSeeker wrote:Doc?

It doesnt make sence to you that in order for the Spirit to be the stronger of the two that control the human, you need to make the other weeker?

Prayer strengthens the spirit.

The Flesh is strengthend by giving into it.

The only way to NOT give into the flesh, is if you are in the spirit.

You can only be in the spirit in prayer, which is communion with Your Lord.

The flesh will keep you from the spirit, just like the spirit will keep you from the flesh. But you MUST pick which one you want to give into.

Dude, eating food when I'm hungry doesnt keep me from the spirit. I assure you.
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomSeeker Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:42 am

Lack of prayer keeps you from the spirit.

IF you are to fast food, the thing you should do instead of EAT, is pray.

Prayer is eating Jesus.(as cude as that sounds he told us to do so)

HE is the bread of Life. We NEED to eat his flesh adn drink his blood as much as we can...THAT increase the holy spirit in us.

If we arent doing that we stay in the flesh.

But im constantly repeating myself.

Its important to PRAY CONSTANTLY, as much as possible, and then the possiblity of prayer will increase, the more you do it. Truly.

Fasting weakens the body, to fast physical nurishment, and NOT consume spiritual nurishment, is NOT good.

If you ARE to fast, then you MUST pray. You DONT have to fast in order to pray.

PRAYER is the most important. WAY more than fasting. Prayer. ALLOT of it is the only way to be in the spirit. If you are not praying constantly, then you are NOT in the spirit.

KingdomSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:57 am

KingdomSeeker wrote:Lack of prayer keeps you from the spirit.

IF you are to fast food, the thing you should do instead of EAT, is pray.

Prayer is eating Jesus.(as cude as that sounds he told us to do so)

HE is the bread of Life. We NEED to eat his flesh adn drink his blood as much as we can...THAT increase the holy spirit in us.

If we arent doing that we stay in the flesh.

But im constantly repeating myself.

Its important to PRAY CONSTANTLY, as much as possible, and then the possiblity of prayer will increase, the more you do it. Truly.

Fasting weakens the body, to fast physical nurishment, and NOT consume spiritual nurishment, is NOT good.

If you ARE to fast, then you MUST pray. You DONT have to fast in order to pray.

PRAYER is the most important. WAY more than fasting. Prayer. ALLOT of it is the only way to be in the spirit. If you are not praying constantly, then you are NOT in the spirit.

Show me with scripture (not opinion) where we are told to pray constantly.

Show me where Jesus or the Apostles make such a big deal over this.

And tell us please, your model for fasting and praying. How long do you do each?

Do you hear God audibly speaking to you Rob?
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomSeeker Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:58 pm

Strangelove wrote:

Show me with scripture (not opinion) where we are told to pray constantly.
Pray without ceasing. 1Thessalonians 5:17, Theres allot more, Colossians says devote yourself to prayer. Im not going to post any more scripture than that. Its all through out the bible.

Show me where Jesus or the Apostles make such a big deal over this.
It really is all through out the NT. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. Ephesians 1:17 there is ALLOT more. Paul was ALWAYS praying. The apostles were ALWAYS praying Jesus was ALWAYS praying. We need to be ALWAYS praying...granted we have things we need to do, so we cant ALWAYS be on our knees...but we need to be on our knees in spirit.

And tell us please, your model for fasting and praying. How long do you do each?
This is not about me Doc, im just saying do it ALLOT. its not about bragging, its not about anything other then growing closer to Jesus, and Jesus is a spirit. GOD is a spirit, you can ONLY grow closer to him in spirit. and thats ONLY possible in prayer.

Do you hear God audibly speaking to you Rob?
No, i said that over there, in the other room. I hear him in spirit, it IS specific, and unique for who i am as a person. Reading the bible is not hearing from God. Sometimes YOU WILL hear God tell you to go read a certain verse of scripture if you are listening. But reading of your own fruition and applying your own understanding, is sadly not the word from God. Jesus is the WORD of God. The scriptures do not exahult themselvs. The WORD is the spirit. you NEED to be guided by the spirit. not your own understanding.

KingdomSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:43 am

KingdomSeeker wrote:Pray without ceasing. 1Thessalonians 5:17, Theres allot more, Colossians says devote yourself to prayer. Im not going to post any more scripture than that. Its all through out the bible.

Well, seeing as you admit that we have stuff to do in our lives then this obviously cannot be taken literally. If I pray everyday then I'm praying without ceasing, far as I'm concerned.

KingdomSeeker wrote:
It really is all through out the NT. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. Ephesians 1:17 there is ALLOT more. Paul was ALWAYS praying. The apostles were ALWAYS praying Jesus was ALWAYS praying. We need to be ALWAYS praying...granted we have things we need to do, so we cant ALWAYS be on our knees...but we need to be on our knees in spirit.

I think you'll find Jesus and the Apostles were always prophesying/teaching rather than actual praying to God. Me thinks you have some kind of strange priority fixation my friend. Ya we need to pray to God, but you shouldn't be hassling people on how much or how long they pray. It's just non-sensical. You are called to pray ALLOT, I dont have that calling. You go ahead and pray loads and loads. Fine. I'm comfortable in the knowledge that God can hear everthing I think or say, I dedicate special time everyday to addressing Him directly in prayer, and when I dont know what to say to God then the Holy Spirit interceeds for me.

Lolz....what do you pray about to God 24/7? Are you sure your not repeating yerself with Him?

KingdomSeeker wrote:
This is not about me Doc, im just saying do it ALLOT. its not about bragging, its not about anything other then growing closer to Jesus, and Jesus is a spirit. GOD is a spirit, you can ONLY grow closer to him in spirit. and thats ONLY possible in prayer.

How do I know what 'ALLOT' is if you dont tell me? Your trying to teach me how much to pray everyday so spit it out Rob. How much is ALLOT? Show me by your example. How long do I need to pray to make the grade? How long do I need to fast? I'm new to this Christianity thing so.....tell me.

KingdomSeeker wrote:
No, i said that over there, in the other room. I hear him in spirit, it IS specific, and unique for who i am as a person. Reading the bible is not hearing from God. Sometimes YOU WILL hear God tell you to go read a certain verse of scripture if you are listening. But reading of your own fruition and applying your own understanding, is sadly not the word from God. Jesus is the WORD of God. The scriptures do not exahult themselvs. The WORD is the spirit. you NEED to be guided by the spirit. not your own understanding.
Ok I'm guided by the spirit while I'm reading His Word and thats how He talks to me. Through the Word, by the spirit. Ok? Or is there some secret mystical communication method that I'm unaware of?
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomSeeker Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:11 am

Very Happy no. I think i may have over stepped my bounds my friend. Forgive me.

How much do i pray a day? Well I try to pray all day long. I firm ly belive that praying all day long is not spending time in the presence of God. I truly think we all need to devote more time to doing that.

Some days I only Get about an hour to do so...some days 3+...on days That i spend hours before Jesus just praising his name and thanking him for who he is, and for plucking me out of the hands of evil, before i had anymore of a chance to mess my life, HIS life up some more...I just gratly enjoy spending time before him, and wants us all to do that as we can, and as we feel called to.

I also firmly beleive we are to still fast food, though fasting food is not the only type of fast.

And now im dont with this conversation.

I never ment to insult you Doc, nor make it seem like had some sort of Magic God time, that Only i knew about, and now i will lord it over your head...thats how it semed to come across to you, adn im sorry...i need to formulate my points better.

Jesus bless you Doc Smile and just...just keep going brother. Thats it.

KingdomSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 am

It's ok mate....I wasnt offended exactly, just genuinely interested in how much time you spend praying. I mean...when I pray I generally say the Lords prayer (or a variation of it) and then tack on at the end any special petitions I have for the Lord that He may grant me if it fits His divine will...and then, uhm.....I just wrap it up with telling God how great He is....and thats me done...a few minutes...twice or thrice a day.

I just cant imagine praying for hours on end, it just seems totally foreign to me. Do you actually keep going with words being formulated in your head or is it more like you get into a meditative state?

I'm not sure if we are even talking about the same thing. confused

How long do you fast for? And how often? I'm really interested to know.

Is it like missing lunch everyday....or like.....not eating anything for 3 days running,,,and then going back to normal for a week?
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingdomSeeker Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:32 pm

Strangelove wrote:It's ok mate....I wasnt offended exactly, just genuinely interested in how much time you spend praying. I mean...when I pray I generally say the Lords prayer (or a variation of it) and then tack on at the end any special petitions I have for the Lord that He may grant me if it fits His divine will...and then, uhm.....I just wrap it up with telling God how great He is....and thats me done...a few minutes...twice or thrice a day.

I just cant imagine praying for hours on end, it just seems totally foreign to me. Do you actually keep going with words being formulated in your head or is it more like you get into a meditative state?

I'm not sure if we are even talking about the same thing. confused

How long do you fast for? And how often? I'm really interested to know.

Is it like missing lunch everyday....or like.....not eating anything for 3 days running,,,and then going back to normal for a week?

It really depends, pray is not supposed to be formatted, and repetative, it should be your heart pouring out to God. Again, im not saying you do or dont do this.
I pray from my friends who are unsaved, that God would have mercy on them, and that they would not harden there hearts, nor have there hearts hardened. I pray that thet seek and Love Jesus with all there being. I end up, sometimes as i feel the need to pray extensively for specific people, some days i can spend 30 seconds on one person, or sometimes 10 minutes...depends on what im sensing that day. Then I do the same for my unsaved family. Then i pray for the saved family and friends, for protection, I pray the blood of Jesus over them, adn a hedge of protection around them. And For God to just pour, his peace and joy out in there lives, and keep them focused on Him.

Then I'll pray for the different "online" friends and family.
Sometimes ill pray for certain people, in politics, and such, only as i fell called to. If the pop into my head during prayer(weather ment as a distraction or not) I pray for them.

Then Ill pray for myself, That I may know Jesus More(I know your going to look at that sentance and go...."Know Jesus more?...Are you insecure about your faith?" No! Im SO secure in my faith that i want to know him like paul did, like daniel did, I want to know him so intimately that Literally all it is, is me and him...and i have the utmost faith in him for him to bring me to that point, and even if it takes me loosing limbs adn family and a house, all i care about is him, I want to know him as much as humanly possible as Hiw will provides. I want to be conformed so much to his likeness...as close as possible in this life.). Then I pray some other things.

Then after that I just Tell God that i want to spend time with him, I want it to be Just him and nme for as long as he would allow it. And I just praise him. I thank him for all the belssings he has given me, and For all the times he has kept me out of danger, even as i was flinging myself into it. I thank him and praise him untill I literally am just enveloped buy him, and his presence is heavy, sometimes it feels as if im on a boat. like waves are under me. Not huge waves, nothing like throwing myslef on the floor...The suff you see on Youtube, and in pentecostal churches, from what I know of the spirit, is NOT the spirit of God(you know that...)

Anyway, then once i truly FEEL His spirit( i know...dont always go by feeling...no, your right, dont ALWAYS go by feeling..but dont ALWAYS count out feelings either)
Once its just me and him, adn literally NO MORE distractions are comming(you need to pray through them) then i just sit there in silence adn in my mind i just thank him, and if someone has x-ray vision, they would see some big guy on the floor on his knees with a big duffy smile on his face(of which once it come you cant get it off) haha

And ill just sit there. For how ever long...usually its cut short...SOmetimes i would like to jsut do that ALL day. YOu feel like a spiritual shower after that. truly. God wants us all there.

As far as Fasting? I end up fasting when im sining more than usual, Or when there is a family member who needs SERIUOS prayer. Sometimes Ill just fast most of the day, and ten eat a small dinner. SOme day ill fast ALll day. Some days I wont fast eating. but i will not go on the computer for a week. Or I will do nothing but pray and read the bible. ...its as we feel moved, and called...but if we are ignoring the spirit we want feel moved or called.

So thats me in a nut shell. Umm of course ts going to be different for everyone on WHAT they pray, and every one based of of personality and gifts, are going to pray a bit differently, but God seriosuly wants us to seek him like that, more and more everyday.

I hope that might clarify some stuff...Its weird i dont really like talking about myself. but you asked.

KingdomSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Consumed Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:44 am

For me it's a no brainer, Jesus says in Matthew, "when you fast" and tells us how to fast to not make a show of it. Isaiah it tells us the purpose of fasting.

Jesus didn't say "if you fast" so to me it made sense to fast.

Consumed
Consumed

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Wasn't Jesus still under the law?

Fasting and feast days included...and ministering to Jews also still under the law?
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Consumed Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 am

Strangelove wrote:Wasn't Jesus still under the law?

Fasting and feast days included...and ministering to Jews also still under the law?

Hi. Doc
Bro Jesus was asked why doesn't His disciples fast, He answered that they would, after His ascension. Jesus fulfilled the law yes, that was His purpose.
So it comes back to "when you fast" not "if" lol

Blessings lol!
Consumed
Consumed

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:52 pm

Do you mean this Alex?

(Matthew 9:15) And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.

I think it means when Jesus was taken and held in prison. Not after his ascention and forever after.
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Consumed Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:06 am

Strangelove wrote:Do you mean this Alex?

(Matthew 9:15) And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.

I think it means when Jesus was taken and held in prison. Not after his ascention and forever after.

Prison?? How long was He there Doc?? Surely not long enough to say "when you fast"

Pray about it Doc, not leaning on your own understanding of it, God may just surprise you and lead you into a fast. But like anything when asking God, if we think we already have the answer why bother asking in prayer.

Love you Doc, God is so vast there is always more than meets the eye lolz transformers Ban?
Consumed
Consumed

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:05 am

Consumed wrote:Prison?? How long was He there Doc?? Surely not long enough to say "when you fast"

He didnt say 'when you fast' in that verse He said THEN shall they fast

Consumed wrote:
Pray about it Doc, not leaning on your own understanding of it, God may just surprise you and lead you into a fast. But like anything when asking God, if we think we already have the answer why bother asking in prayer.

Have you read the whole thread Alex?

Fasting of food is not a Christian doctrine. It was a shadow just like all the rest of the ceremonial law.
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Consumed Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Doc I read the whole thread.
Bro just because I refer to "when" doesn't mean it's not not written, maybe read Matt 6 in whole for the teachings Jesus was giving for that's where I get my understanding from it but I will just post the "when" part anyway

16Moreover Arrow when all of you fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 17But you, when you fast, anoint yours head, and wash your face; 18That you appear not unto men to fast, but unto your Father which is in secret: and your Father, which sees in secret, shall reward you openly.

Consumed
Consumed

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Consumed wrote:Doc I read the whole thread.
Bro just because I refer to "when" doesn't mean it's not not written, maybe read Matt 6 in whole for the teachings Jesus was giving for that's where I get my understanding from it but I will just post the "when" part anyway

16Moreover Arrow when all of you fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 17But you, when you fast, anoint yours head, and wash your face; 18That you appear not unto men to fast, but unto your Father which is in secret: and your Father, which sees in secret, shall reward you openly.

I told you man, He was speaking to Jews under the law. At that time they were still partaking in the feast days and fasts.

So He mentions fasting to them. Theres no commandment to Christians to fast from food.
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Consumed Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:21 am

Strangelove wrote:

I told you man, He was speaking to Jews under the law. At that time they were still partaking in the feast days and fasts.

So He mentions fasting to them. Theres no commandment to Christians to fast from food.

Jesus was questioned why His disciples didn't fast lolz

Ok what about the boy the couldn't cast the demon out? Only but by prayer and fasting Jesus said, how does that tie in with it all. Why did the holy spirit lead Jesus to fast 40 days??

Just remember this has nothing to do with securing salvation, that's ludicrous to even think that doc,

Blessings
Consumed
Consumed

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Consumed wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Jesus was questioned why His disciples didn't fast lolz

Ok what about the boy the couldn't cast the demon out? Only but by prayer and fasting Jesus said, how does that tie in with it all. Why did the holy spirit lead Jesus to fast 40 days??

Just remember this has nothing to do with securing salvation, that's ludicrous to even think that doc,

Blessings

Oh ok so fasting might be a good idea if we need to cast a demon out?

Ya fine I dont really have a problem with that.
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Consumed Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:25 am

Doc, suppose it just comes down to for me that Jesus said it, good enough for me. We hold scripture sacred and Jesus' teachings are the foundation of it all, for me anyway, so why would He have taught how to fast.
It's not as if your salvation is cast off cause you don't, as I said that's ludicrous in itself but He did teach it with all the other teachings, do we pick and choose which ones we learn from??
All good bro. Jesus faithful and true

And whether you believe me or not, iv prayed and seen some supernatural things happen in Jesus name 
Consumed
Consumed

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Consumed wrote:Doc, suppose it just comes down to for me that Jesus said it, good enough for me. We hold scripture sacred and Jesus' teachings are the foundation of it all, for me anyway, so why would He have taught how to fast.
It's not as if your salvation is cast off cause you don't, as I said that's ludicrous in itself but He did teach it with all the other teachings, do we pick and choose which ones we learn from??
All good bro. Jesus faithful and true

So did Jesus teach how long you need to fast for?

How many days?

How many hours?

Or was he referring to Mosaic fasting?
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Consumed Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Strangelove wrote:

How many days?

How many hours?

Doc Matt 5 & 6 the chapter, was it just for the mosaics and not a teaching in general for the Gentiles
Bro there's no time limit to a fast, Jesus did 40 and??
Eye for an eye was?? and NT teaching by Jesus bless them forgive mercy no??
Basketball
Consumed
Consumed

Back to top Go down

Post by strangelove Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Consumed wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

How many days?

How many hours?

Doc Matt 5 & 6 the chapter, was it just for the mosaics and not a teaching in general for the Gentiles
Bro there's no time limit to a fast, Jesus did 40 and??
Eye for an eye was?? and NT teaching by Jesus bless them forgive mercy no??
Basketball

Ok so I fast from 2pm until 7pm everyday...is that ok?
strangelove
strangelove
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next